Saturday, February 5, 2022

Encryption and Authentication

     One thing I learn from the first chapter was in section 1.4.12, where it talked about encryption and authentication. What I learned is how encryption is use to delay third parties to try and steal your information. There are different ways to protect yourself, one is to protect your Wi-Fi by using WPA2 (Wi-Fi Protected Access 2). This is the latest encryption method for Wi-Fi and to make sure your modem has the latest firmware update. Another way is to check your website address. Make sure that when inputting sensitive information the website has is HTTPS and not just HTTP as HTTPS has the encryption which makes it more difficult for hackers to hack. Lastly make sure your authentication is safe. Criminals will do what they can to try to obtain your user names and passwords. Make sure you use safe authentication practices such as having a strong password, not using the same password for everything and do not share your password.

15 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you learned about the purpose of encryption in digital communication from 1.4.12 :-)

    The 's' in 'https' stands for secure. This means the data during transit is encrypted, not the security level of the host server.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The internet is a wild place, it is key to know how to protect yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WWW doesn't stand for World Wide Web, it stands for Wild Wild West because there's no rules when it comes to the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found that section interesting, because encryption is such an old idea. It's just...interesting to me how it's manage to remain relevant, and adapt to a digital world.

    Makes a ton of money, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Using a VPN is also a great way to help protect yourself on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use encryption at my job daily in healthcare

    ReplyDelete
  7. VPNs are super neat and valuable! They sure make protection a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did learn about the difference between HTTP and HTTPS as well. Now when I see a webpage without the "s" I know I have to be careful about that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I learned a lot about encryption and authentication. I also look for the s on HTTPS since I now know the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Authetication is very important. I use it if certain apps and accounts allow it. For example, I use the authetication app that Discord uses, and it tells me when someone is trying to sign into my account.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to use two factor authentication and encryption for many things since I work in the medical field.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Two factor authentication is very important because you want to make sure it isn't as easy to login into your accounts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was super surprised when the way that a hyperlink starts makes all of the difference to know what is safe and what is not. HTTP and HTTPS are something that I too learned about in this class.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When they were talking about the difference between http and https, it reminded me of middle school! I remember kids used to be so desperate to do ANYTHING other than their work, so they would try to come up with ways to access blocked websites like Youtube. So there was this rumor going around that if you deleted the s, it would automatically let you in. Of course this didn't work, but it was always funny to see kids try it and be disappointed right after.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I already knew about encryption and authentication but I did not know about how to use WIFI Protection it really made me think that I should do a better job of protecting my information.

    ReplyDelete